The Specialised cell Carrier Components (SpeCCC) project has received funding from the European Union's Seventh Framework programme managed by REA-Research Executative Agency http://ec.europa.eu/research/rea ([FP7/2007-2013] [FP7/2007-2011]) under grant agreement number . This project is in the Research for SME's programme from the SP4-Capacities Research for specific groups call.
The objective of the project is to develop fully functional 3D liver cell culture systems for applications in in-vitro drug and toxicity testing to replace animal test methods, and for use in bioartifical liver (BAL) devices.
The consortium is made up of 3 SME's and 3 RTD performers. These include
- Cellon SA, Luxembourg: SME participant and Project Coordination
- DTL Biotechnology Ltd, Ireland: SME participant and Project Management.
- Silicone Altimex Ltd, UK: SME participant
- Instituto De Biologia Experimental E Technologia, Portugal: RTD Performer
- University College Dublin, National University of Ireland, Ireland: RTD Performer.
- InSCREENex GmbH, Germany: RTD Performer.